Native mobile app versions
Where do I find the native mobile app versions?
At present, the native mobile app versions of VDO.Ninja are fairly basic, but they can be useful for a couple of reasons.
- The native Android app supports screen-sharing, while the browser-based version of VDO.Ninja does not.
- More camera types are listed on the Android native app version; some wide-angle lenses appear that do not appear in the browser-based version.
- Sometimes the native mobile app will work when the browser-based versions do not.
There are some limitations to the native mobile app versions though.
- Rooms and group chat are not supported yet.
- Passwords are not supported yet.
- UVC camera and mic support is not yet available, but we're working on it. UVC devices are supported via the Raspberry Pi and Nvidia Jetson devices however (see bottom).
- The native app requires a modern version of Android, while the web-based version of VDO.Ninja has been tested with Android 5.1 using Chrome.
You have a few different ways to download and install the Android app for VDO.Ninja. Installing the Google Play Store version is recommended, as it can auto-update with patches and new features automatically.
You can also download and install the Android APK file manually:
Download the APK directly from Google Drive, without using the Google Play store (Manually installing will requires manual updating, as well. APK last updated May 12, 2022)
Lastly, you can also download the source-code for the Android app, allowing you to build and install the app yourself.
The native iOS app for VDO.Ninja is again available on the Apple App Store.
The native App Store app is very basic, but It does support the ability to stream your camera's output to a remote computer, with the option to enable the Torch light. While screen share support is available in-app, it currently only works when the app is open, making it a bit useless if you need to switch apps. If you're looking to screen-share from an iPhone or iPad with VDO.Ninja, other ways to do it exist. See this guide here:
Room support and passwords are not supported yet in the native mobile apps.